Claim Compensation For Housing Disrepair

If your landlord has refused to carry out repairs that are essential for you and your family to live in a safe environment, you may be entitled to compensation.

Damages could include repair costs, physical or mental injury, illness, loss of income, the cost of alternative accommodation and medical expenses. The amount you can claim will depend on the extent of your injury and how long you’ve been suffering from it.

Damage to your belongings

If your belongings have been damaged due to housing disrepair, you can claim compensation. Damages to your possessions can include things like water leakage, mould or rotten wood.

In some cases, you can also claim for financial loss caused by the damage to your belongings. This could be for things like increased heating bills, or the cost of replacing the furniture that has been damaged.

To get the most out of your claim, you should keep records of any issues you have reported to your landlord and how they have responded. This can be a great way to build a strong case for your housing disrepair compensation claim.

Another thing to consider is your health and how this has been affected by the disrepair. If you or your family members have suffered from health issues arising from the property’s disrepair, this can also be a good reason for claiming for compensation.

Damage to your health

There’s a lot of damage that can be caused by your landlord not taking care of the property you live in. This could include mould, damp, poor ventilation, plumbing problems or structural damage.

Your health can also be negatively affected by the state of your home. This can lead to breathing problems, gastrointestinal issues and other ailments.

Your best bet is to let your landlord know about the issue and ask them to get it fixed as soon as possible. If they don’t, you can contact a specialist housing disrepair solicitor Manchester to see if you can make a claim for compensation. The amount of compensation you receive will depend on the nature of the problem and how long it has been ongoing.

Damage to your property

If you live in a property and your landlord has failed to make the necessary repairs, you may be entitled to claim compensation. These claims can be for damage to your belongings and health, and can also include any inconvenience caused as a result of living in the disrepair.

Water leaks, faulty heating and pest infestations can all be causes of housing disrepair and your landlord should deal with them immediately after you report them. If they don’t, you can claim for the costs of the repairs or for a refund of your rent.

Mould is another cause of damage and can be a very serious health issue. It can cause respiratory problems and could lead to other issues such as allergies and asthma. You can claim compensation for the costs of repairing your health and the damage to your property if you have been affected by mould.


Your home is supposed to be a comfortable place for you and your family to live in, so if you find that it isn’t, you may want to claim compensation. It could be that a malfunctioning boiler or a house riddled with damp have made you feel uncomfortable and inconvenienced.

Your landlord should be able to fix any problems at your property as quickly as possible. However, if they fail to do this and the problem is ongoing, you can make a housing disrepair claim.

Typically, a landlord should respond to a complaint within 20 working days and begin repairs promptly. How long it takes to carry out these repairs will depend on the specific issue and how urgent it is.

You can also claim for other costs incurred as a result of your home being in disrepair. This includes the cost of repairing items that have been damaged or destroyed. It can also include the cost of a loss in rent as a result of the disrepair.

Comments are closed.